Areca is a personal file backup software developed in Java.
It is released under the General Public License (GPL) v2.
Backup Engine Features :
* Archives compression (Zip & Zip64 format)
* Archives encryption (AES128 & AES256 encryption algorithms)
* Storage on local hard drive, network drive, USB key, FTP / FTPs server (with implicit and explicit SSL / TLS)
* Source file filters (by extension, subdirectory, regular expression, size, date, status, with AND/OR operators)
* Incremental, differential and full backup support
* Archives merges / deletion : You can merge contiguous archives in one single archive or safely delete your latest archives.
* As of date recovery : Areca allows you to recover your archives (or single files) as of a specific date.
* Transaction mechanism : All critical processes (such as backups or merges) support a transaction mechanism (with commit / rollback management) which guarantees your backups' integrity.
* Backup reports : Areca generates backup reports that can be stored on your disk or sent by email.
* Post backup scripts : Areca can launch shell scripts after backup.
* Files permissions and symbolic links backup. (Linux only)
* Support for delta backup (store only the modified parts of the files - not the whole files)
Graphical User Interface :
* Archives content explorer. (including a 'find file in archives' feature)
* Archive description : A manifest is associated to each archive, which contains various informations such as author, title, date, description, and some technical data.
* File history explorer : Areca keeps track of your file's history (creation / modifications / deletion) over your archives.
* Backup simulation : useful to check wether a backup is necessary
* User's actions history : Areca keeps an history of all user's actions (archives deletion, merges, backups, recoveries).
Command-Line Interface :
* Areca comes with a command-line interface which can be used for backup automation.